What we're looking for
Hacker Noon is looking for the next leader of our engineering team.
In this role you’ll lead a team of talented developers to make significant improvements to the Hacker Noon platform, a custom CMS used and loved daily by hundreds of thousands of people around the world.
You'll work directly with the CEO and leaders of each internal team to make countless iterations designed to improve the experience of Hacker Noon core people: readers, writers, editors, brands, and admin. You are imaginative, ambitious, and empathetic. Maybe you have started your own company. Maybe you worked at a larger corporation and needed more breathing room for creativity and independence. Maybe you dropped out of school (or never went) because you realized you didn't fit the traditional mold. You most likely have read a Hacker Noon story before and liked that it was authored by someone just like you. You're not just willing to go through all the ups and downs of startup life. You are living for it.
- Lead by example. Go wild with your ideas and steer your team in a direction that you think will be beneficial to the company and move the needles on our core metrics, i.e.
words published, and
revenue made. At the same time, listen and empathize with teammates and users. Strike a balance between explore and exploit, create and maintain, and always iterate.
- Familiarize with our Tech Stack, including NextJS, SlateJS, Firebase, Vercel, SendGrid, Nginx, Algolia, Coil, Vue, ExpressJS, MomentJS, Node, NodeJS to improve our overall codebase. Some important internal tools: Slack, Notion, GitHub, Trello, Google Docs.
- Collaborate and lead other engineers to spec, write, test, and deploy code. We recently went through a code audit, and have a number of projects to improve page performance, load time and search engine index-ability.
- And of course, there's always bugs to fix, based on your personal experience or feedback from the team and the community.
Every single Hacker Noon team member started out as a part time contractor first, including the CEO. You will be assigned a part time project based on your skill, interest, and commitment level. After a mutually agreed upon trial period and compensation amount, there will be an evaluation between you and Hacker Noon to find the best fit: full time, part-time, or no time.
Hacker Noon is built for technologists to read, write, and publish. We are an open and international community of 15k+ contributing writers publishing stories and expertise for 3M+ curious and insightful monthly readers. Learn more at about.hackernoon.com
How to Apply
Please fill out this form, which ask for these information:
- Your CV
- URLs of your Linkedin, personal site, or any showcase of your work on the interwebs
- Why you are a fit for this job
- How you know about this job
We will get back to you within a week's time.