What we're looking for
Hacker Noon is looking for a part-time backend engineer with opportunity to join the team full time.
In this role you’ll use your extensive knowledge of Firebase, Vercel, Nginx as well as any other tech stack you are familiar with to improve the Hacker Noon platform, a custom CMS used and loved daily by hundreds of thousands of people around the world. You'll get to choose what to work on, design a framework, iterate, review, and ship things that can improve the experience of Hacker Noon core people: readers, writers, editors, brands, and admin. You are scrappy, detail-oriented, and empathetic. Maybe you have started your own company. Maybe you worked at a larger corporation and needed more breathing room for creativity and independence. Maybe you dropped out of school (or never went) because you realized you didn't fit the traditional mold. You most likely have read a Hacker Noon story before and liked that it was authored by someone just like you. You're not just willing to go through all the ups and downs of startup life. You are living for it.
- We want our contributors to be independent thinkers who excel at choosing high impact projects (company wide impact is measured by
words published, and
revenue made) but we also want our contributors to be empathetic to our users and teammates, doing everything they can to level up our community. Here's a bit more about our product making style.
- Familiarize with our Tech Stack, including NextJS, SlateJS, Firebase, Vercel, SendGrid, Nginx, Algolia, Coil, Vue, ExpressJS, MomentJS, Node, NodeJS. Some important internal tools: Slack, Notion, GitHub, Trello, Google Docs.
- Collaborate with other engineers to spec, write, test, and deploy code. We recently went through a code audit, and have a number of projects to improve page performance, load time and search engine index-ability.
- Brainstorm (sometimes, even prototype) features with rest of team based on your knowledge of the codebase
- And of course, there's always bugs to fix, based on your personal experience or feedback from the team and the community.
Every single Hacker Noon team member started out as a part time contractor first, including the CEO. You will be assigned a part time project based on your skill, interest, and commitment level. After a mutually agreed upon trial period and compensation amount, there will be an evaluation between you and Hacker Noon to find the best fit: full time, part-time, or no time.
Hacker Noon is built for technologists to read, write, and publish. We are an open and international community of 15k+ contributing writers publishing stories and expertise for 3M+ curious and insightful monthly readers. Learn more at about.hackernoon.com
How to Apply
Please fill out this form, which ask for these information:
- Your CV
- URLs of your Linkedin, personal site, or any showcase of your work on the interwebs
- Why you are a fit for this job
- How you know about this job
We will get back to you within a week's time.